November 16, 2010
Why Robbie Keane Needs to be in a Revolution Uniform....
1. Striker... We need some more quality up front plain and simple, Twellman is gone for good now and our options up top are still pretty bleak looking.
2. Experience... Captain of the Irish National Team (we'll come back to this later), Captain for Tottenham, stints at Liverpool, Leeds and most recently Celtic.
3. He's not getting much playing time now and may consider a league switch.
4. He's only 30, he's still got some gas in the tank and could be around for a few years and he's relatively injury free. I mean we were all praying for a 30 year old Twellman to come back and save our team...
5. "We're looking for the right player..." Here is is smacking you in the face Mike Burns!!!! He is a high quality candidate for a DP that will have both an on and off the field effect. We could probably attract him for a salary somewhere in the 5 million a year range. On the field we need a top quality striker, off the field he is a well known name. He is no Beckham, Henry or Marquez, but this is New England and if there Is one thing we have it's a lot of Irish people who know and respect Keane. These are people who would come out to games to see him play and he may be that marketing boost that the Revolution so desperately need to become relevant in the Boston/New England sports scene.
Robbie Keane playing for any team in MLS other than the Revolution would be a travesty. New England/Boston has one of the largest Irish populations in the country, Keane would be a win-win he's in an area that will welcome him in and there are people who know him here and will want to see him play. Keane would immediately have an effect on the field and would also probably have a good presence in the locker room as well. Ok Revolution FO, the ball is in your court, will you realize that actions speak louder than words? Will you sign our first DP? Will you honestly look at Keane, a player who meets your stated criteria?